- 2 scoops whey protein isolate (We prefer Zija Prime 90)
- 1 cup oats
- 2 TBSP Peanut Butter
- 1 cup egg whites
- 1 banana
- 15 oz Almond Milk
- 1 tsp Honey
We decided to begin this post with a very important quote to stress the importance of nourishment in regards to supplementation. In the sport performance world as well as the fitness industry supplements have become a cluster of pills and potions that are filled with a variety of other worldly synthetic substances that are not only bad for you but in most cases completely useless. Many companies use fillers and “proprietary blends” that help them save money by splicing products with these unknown substances. Luckily for you we have prepared a short list of the essential supplements to help boost your performance, improve body composition and fill in the “gaps” in your fueling. Remember supplements are just that – SUPPLEMENTS. In no way shape or form will you find a magic pill or potion to whip your body into perfect condition..
We have put together the TOP 5 supplements that you should add to your nutritional fueling. So let’s go!
1.Fish Oil- Your body needs fat. Period. Do not be fooled by low fat fads that make you believe if you drop fat that you will be more fit or trim. In actuality when you decrease your fat intake to low levels your body will go into starvation mode and retain more fat to ensure your survival. A healthy fat such as fish oil reduces inflammation and improves body composition. Theactive ingredients EPA and DHA support muscle protein synthesis and help to reduce muscle degradation.
2.Whey Protein– To ensure that you build quality lean muscle supplementing with whey protein is your best bet. Whey protein is the #1 protein that you can supplement with becauseof its super high absorption rate, low carb and low calorie content.
3.Multivitamin- The westernized diet has purposely been stripped of nutrients to keep you sick to provide pharmaceutical companies fresh customers to sell product. Although you can do a very good job with the foods we have mentioned in past posts, a proper multivitamin will make sure you fill in all the gaps in your fueling and help your body to operate at its very best.
4.Green tea Extract- For people who want to lean out and improve body composition green tea extract is a perfect supplement to boost metabolism to aid in fatty oxidation.
5.ZMA- ZMA is a natural mineral supplement made up of zinc, magnesium aspartate, and vitamin B6. Zinc supports your immune system and muscles. Magnesium plays a role in metabolism and muscle health and helps manage sleep. B6 may boost energy.
This is it! If you eat the proper foods, train intensely (which we will begin to talk about next week) and use these 5 supplements you will put yourself in the best position to be a top performer. When you read this if you have questions about what brands of the supplements above to start with, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
I know… yea i know.. You have went to the grocery store, got all of the approved foods and hit up every youtube channel known to man to feed your excitement to start getting this whole nutrition thing down!!! Maybe yes??? Lol maybe that was just me, but in this third installment of “The Power of The Knife & Fork” we will discuss the top 5 most pertinent mistakes people make in the meal preparation process. Before I divulge this precious info lol.. let me remind you that there are companies that market “healthy foods” that are not healthy for you at all and will sabotage your progress to become a high performer. So if you are reading this while drinking a special K Protein shake….. I’ve just slapped it out of your hand.
Although I primarily work with athletes who have no problem taking coaching and following a proven program for results, for the regular person the thought of preparing meals for an entire week feels foreign and the process daunting. Well here at Swxller we believe in putting your big boy pull ups on and sucking that up: IT DOES NOT MATTER YOUR TRAINING PLAN!! IF YOU PUT CRAP FOOD IN YOUR SYSTEM YOU WILL GET CRAP RESULTS PERIOD. If you want to COMPLETELY speed up your training progress and achieve and incredible physique you MUST control what you stuff into your face. This leads me to my 1st mistake…
Mistake # 1- I’m gonna make these 4 little meals and my body we be on point!!
1. MEAL PREP IS NOT A QUICK FIX IT MUST BECOME A LIFESTYLE
DO NOT become one of those people who get all excited just to prep their meals for one week, only eat half the meals, then go out on Friday and throw all of their hard efforts away because “you just had to go to 5 guys”. Regimenting what you eat may seem like a laborious task but consistency will greatly reduce the time it takes you to prepare your meals. We have stated before that we do not believe in diets. A diet is not sustainable and depending on what diet you may be on, very dangerous to your health. Get in the habit of prepping each week and EARN that special meal where you eat whatever you want. Your dedication of proper meal prepping will also give you the tools needed to be able to go out with your friends and order the food that will keep you on track.
Key: Dedicated yourself to prep your meals each week. It will save you a ton of money in the long run and your body (and spouse… hell IG page for that matter) will thank you in the long run.
Mistake # 2 – Why even bother prepping?DO you know how much money this S$%^ is gonna cost?!
2. SHOP LIKE THE CANDY LADY
NO.. you cannot eat candy lol… but we say shop like the candy lady meaning to buy your food IN BULK. Utilizing places like Sam’s, Costco, BJ’s etc, will not only save you a lot of money but allow you to buy a lot of food at once. Buying larger containers of peanut butter, for example, will also save you trips to the grocery store. True you can go to your local sure market each week but more times than none you will spend WAY more money for less food.
When you buy in bulk remember to buy high quality FRESH products (which we talk about in Part 2 of this series). Although this process isn’t complicated if you are still working with processed foods its gonna strain your progress and hurt your pockets.
In regards to meat NEVER buy small cuts. Now is the time to get creative and buy a whole chicken instead of a pack of chicken breasts and learn to COOK all parts to save money. Remember to be smart with your choices that you buy.
Mistake #3- Man it takes way too long to cook all this food!!
3. NEVER COOK 1 WHEN YOU CAN COOK 3
Now that you are in the meal prep gang lol, there are a few essentials that you will need in your kitchen to help save time when preparing your meals.
Disposable Aluminum Trays & Aluminum Foil– Why waste all that time cleaning up dishes when you can prepare meals in catering pans? This method helps to save time and allows you to cook a lot of food at one time in the oven
Slow Cooker– When budgets are light and you are still a novice in the kitchen, a slow cooker is the perfect appliance to cook a lot of meat at one time and ensure that it is TENDER (young tenderoni lol) and ready to me used for your weekly meal prep. This “set it and forget it” appliance also will help to free up time to cook more items simultaneously in your kitchen.
Rice Cooker– Let’s face it… INSTANT RICE SUCKS. Remember we want to buy quality products. By having a rice cooker you can by good quality rice and ensure that it is fluffy and light and good to your tummy. If you’re on “Grandma” status in the kitchen you could still use the stove but we believe in efficiency.
Spray Oil- Spray oil is a wonderful solution and cost-effective option to cooking in bulk. Keeping in mind that you want to watch your fat intake,, spray oil will greatly reduce the amount that you use when you are cooking. You only need enough oil to grease your pan and pots while cooking. The oil that you need and ONLY NEED IS
EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL
We will keep it simple- use those two.. don’t debate we don’t wanna hear it. If you are allergic to one use the other one.
Mistake 4- ” I bought all this food and I only have enough for 3 days.. smh this meal prep thing doesn’t work
4. WHERE IS YOUR FOOD SCALE? MEASURE YOUR FOOD
Food scales and measuring cups are imperative when meal prepping. Each person is different and there is no cookie cutter approach to the amount of protein, carbs, and fats you should eat with each meal. That number will depend on your current training goal and apps such as MyFitnessPal are great tools to help you figure out how much YOU need to eat to get the ideal physique. Once you have that specific number you want to use your food scale and measuring cups to ACCURATELY proportion all of your meals so that you are taking in the proper amount of nutrients at each fueling session throughout the day.
Food scales are relatively cheap, less than $25 dollars and can be bought at places such as Walmart and you can get food measuring cups for next to nothing at the grocery store. When you are equipped with these tools you can portion each meal to the ounce!! Although nutrition isn’t an exact science weighing your meals is as close to perfect as you can get to optimum nutrition.
And we bring it to number 5 which is
Containers matter.. point blank period. To preserve freshness, create uniformity in your fridge (to save space), and keep you on track the TYPE of container that you put your food in makes all the difference. VERSATAINER is a brand that you can buy off of amazon and you can get 150 containers for less than $50 dollars! Although you can get the simple containers from the grocery store, you want to meal prep to your best ability. Containers such as versatainer will ensure that you can get all of your portioned food inside the container and save food to freeze that you do not use right away.
We hope that these solutions help you in your meal preparation and remember that trail, error and experience will be your best teacher during your meal prep journey
* SQQUUEAAAK opens up the refrigerator … “whew I just read the Swxller Positive last week and I DEFINITELY need to go to the grocery store!” If this sounds like something you have said in the past week, no worry this blog will give you the tools to make the proper decisions when going to the grocery store. Keeping in mind that food is FUEL, the view that you have of the grocery store will change forever…. So LETS GO!!
1. THE GROCERY STORE HAS REVENUE AS ITS TOP PRIORITY Before I changed professions to become my best self, I was a store manager for a very large grocery chain. Being in that position showed me the secrets of product marketing and the tricks of the trade that we used to get people to BUY products that will boost revenue. However most of these products are not the best options if your goal is to have top-notch nutrition and body composition. 90% of the products sold in the grocery store are processed and manufactured with cheap and/ or GMO filled ingredients that (and sorry to be so harsh) WILL KILL YOU if you eat them exclusively. Everyone loves the cookies, cakes, sodas, etc.. but remember YOU want to fuel your body with nothing but the best food sources available to you.
2. SHOP THE PERIMETER OF THE STORE. When you walk into the grocery store you must have a PLAN of action from the very start. NEVER GO TO THE GROCERY STORE HUNGRY. Your hunger will lead you to food sources that are good to you.. but certainly not good for you. The perimeter of the grocery store (in most grocery stores) will be home to the best fuel sources. These areas include the produce department, meat and dairy department, and the all natural section if you happen to be in a more upscale grocery store. Stores such as Kroger, Trader Joes, Publix, etc will have more upscale stores with larger varieties of produce and meats to choose from.
3. PRICE IS NOT A SOLE INDICATOR Keeping in mind of the goal of every grocery store, one cannot use price to determine whether a product is good. We have to understand that companies use the tag line and buzz words to lure you in to buy more expensive versions of the same products that you could get for much cheaper. Phone apps such as “Fooducate” are GREAT to help you see the difference between products and which products have a better nutritional value.
4. FOOD LABELS ARE ESSENTIAL Always remember to read the food label. Look below at an excerpt form the FDA to give you a more ind depth look at the food label. For more information go to http://www.FDA.gov http://www.fda.gov/Food/IngredientsPackagingLabeling/LabelingNutrition/ucm274593.htm#see5
5. THE LESS LEGS THE BETTER The bulk of your money in the store should be spent on lean protein sources and a rule of thumb can be that the less legs the better. Yes grade your proteins from no legged to four legged animals and be sure to get a variety to make sure that you do not get bored when you eat during the week and to receive a wide range of nutritional benefits from each protein source.
6. CARBS AS COMPLEX AS A RUBICS CUBE When talking about carbohydrates, complexity is a good thing. Complex carbs take longer to be broken down by the body which gives the body time to recognize the carb and use it for energy rather that automatically store it as fat. Appropriate carb sources are Sweet Potato Jasmine Rice Brown Rice Quinoa Whole Wheat Bread 100% Whole Grain Oats These 6 carb sources have been PROVEN as powerful carb sources and have personally helped me to be ready for competition. Do not think to hard on this one, THESE WORK
7. KEEP YOUR DAIRY TO A MINIMUM Yes.. dairy needs to be in your diet but knowing what to buy is key when building your performance basket. Only ten percent of your time should be spent here buying quality dairy sources such as 0% Greek Yogurt Almond milk Shredded Cheese Cottage Cheese and 2% Milk (Rarely.. you are a human, not a cow) The yogurt, ice cream, custards, and creams are all good however if you want to be your best you will save these sweet treats to only special occasions.
8. Healthy Fats should be in a Can SPRAY OIL will be your best choice when discussing the role of fats in your performance basket. Leave the butters and margarine alone and pick up a can of olive oil or coconut oil cooking spray. These options are lighter on your body and will serve as a healthy balance of fat in your diet.
9. EGGS BROWN OR WHITE When buying eggs make sure that they are of a grade A quality. Your best bet is to get your eggs locally grown from a farmer, but if you do not have access make sure to read the label to check the grade. Contrary to popular belief the egg color is determined by the color of the hen who is laying the egg. The GRADE is key. EGG LANDS BEST is a little but more expensive but great quality that I use myself
10. Ok Guy.. So what does this list look like? I know by this time you are asking ” Man How much will all this healthy eating COST”? Not to worry we have provided a grocery list using all the tips above and all for under $100 dollars!! Lets take a look below As you can see it is possible!! Next week we sill discuss how to cook and prepare meals from this list to plan your performance cart to your performance week!! Be sure to follow the @swxllerco and use the #swxllerfood to show your grocery lists and food choices!!!
Put The Pop Tarts AWAY
After our slight “Come to Jesus Meeting” last week, its time to bring you in and coach you up on the most important factor in changing your life: NUTRITION.
First and foremost we don’t say DIET here..period. Your nutrition has to be in direct correlation to your fitness and health goals. Instead of using the word diet we will use the word FUEL. Think about this: If you bought a new Ashton Martin tomorrow (my personal favorite) would you drive your nice shiny new car to the “Cona Sto'” and use 87?? HELL No!! You would damn near go to the dealership to gas that car up with jet fuel if you could. Well if this is the case .. and don’t lie you would lol, why do you do the same with your food?
I’m sad to say that with all the trolls on instagram, you tube, and all of the internet, the overload of faulty nutrition information can be overwhelming and very costly. Everywhere you turn there is a new pill, potion, butt lifter, waist corset, powder.. ehh you get my drift. Here at The Swxller Company we stick to the basics and inform our athletes to the secret of nutrition
So what is nutrient density? Nutrient density refers to the nutrient quality of the food you are eating on a daily basis. Our bodies haven’t changed in over 100,000 years however we seem to believe that we can cheat the system with processed foods, GMO’s, and the almighty 99 cent menu. Well we are here to tell you that if you do not fuel your body with the proper nutrients you are literally eating yourself into an early grave. Dun Dun…. pretty scary right??
Lets keep this thing simple, if you want to increase your nutrient density you need to eat less CRAP and eat more FOOD
Eat less CRAP:
C – Carbonated Drinks
R – Refined Sugar
A – Artificial Sweeteners and Artificial Colors
P – Processed Foods
Eat more FOOD:
F – Fruits and Vegetables
O – Organic Lean Proteins
O – Omega 3 Fatty Acids
D – Drink Water
C- It doesn’t matter if its diet, zero, whatever… if you want to increase your performance you will use coke for its true purpose taking the corrosion off of your battery
R- The sugar you eat should come from your fruits
A- YouTube the effects of aspartame.. thank me later
P- If you can’t grow it or kill it.. you probably shouldn’t be eating it
F- Eat the Rainbow- your fruits and vegetables should be in a variety of colors. From a boost in immunity, to increased musculature and heart health, each color has a specific purpose to not only heal but reverse the effects of any harm that the CRAP has caused to your body
Want to know more? Check out this article
November 2008 Issue
Color Me Healthy — Eating for a Rainbow of Benefits
By Juliann Schaeffer
Vol. 10 No. 11 P. 34
O- “The Less Legs the Better” always follow this rule in choosing your meats. Cold water fish such as salmon and trout are a very good start. Also be sure to seek out the hunting and fishing community to get information on grass-fed and wild game that haven’t had access to processed grains and vegetables.
O- If you don’t have fish oil in your cabinet, shame on you haha.. don’t take our word for it , lets see what Dr. Frank Sacks, Professor of Cardiovascular Disease Prevention, Department of Nutrition, Harvard School of Public Health has to say.
“Omega-3 fatty acids (also known as n-3 fatty acids) are polyunsaturated fatty acids that are essential nutrients for health. We need omega-3 fatty acids for numerous normal body functions, such as controlling blood clotting and building cell membranes in the brain, and since our bodies cannot make omega-3 fats, we must get them through food. Omega-3 fatty acids are also associated with many health benefits, including protection against heart disease and possibly stroke. New studies are identifying potential benefits for a wide range of conditions including cancer, inflammatory bowel disease, and other autoimmune diseases such as lupus and rheumatoid arthritis.”
D- DRINK WATER.. a lot of it… all the time.. We won’t tell you again.. if it’s not a gallon per day you are playing yourself
Thats it this week!! Tune in next week for part two as we deep dive into nutrition.
Feed the Wolf
Minor Bowens, CSCS, USAW
The Swxller Co.