* SQQUUEAAAK opens up the refrigerator … “whew I just read the Swxller Positive last week and I DEFINITELY need to go to the grocery store!” If this sounds like something you have said in the past week, no worry this blog will give you the tools to make the proper decisions when going to the grocery store. Keeping in mind that food is FUEL, the view that you have of the grocery store will change forever…. So LETS GO!!
1. THE GROCERY STORE HAS REVENUE AS ITS TOP PRIORITY Before I changed professions to become my best self, I was a store manager for a very large grocery chain. Being in that position showed me the secrets of product marketing and the tricks of the trade that we used to get people to BUY products that will boost revenue. However most of these products are not the best options if your goal is to have top-notch nutrition and body composition. 90% of the products sold in the grocery store are processed and manufactured with cheap and/ or GMO filled ingredients that (and sorry to be so harsh) WILL KILL YOU if you eat them exclusively. Everyone loves the cookies, cakes, sodas, etc.. but remember YOU want to fuel your body with nothing but the best food sources available to you.
2. SHOP THE PERIMETER OF THE STORE. When you walk into the grocery store you must have a PLAN of action from the very start. NEVER GO TO THE GROCERY STORE HUNGRY. Your hunger will lead you to food sources that are good to you.. but certainly not good for you. The perimeter of the grocery store (in most grocery stores) will be home to the best fuel sources. These areas include the produce department, meat and dairy department, and the all natural section if you happen to be in a more upscale grocery store. Stores such as Kroger, Trader Joes, Publix, etc will have more upscale stores with larger varieties of produce and meats to choose from.
3. PRICE IS NOT A SOLE INDICATOR Keeping in mind of the goal of every grocery store, one cannot use price to determine whether a product is good. We have to understand that companies use the tag line and buzz words to lure you in to buy more expensive versions of the same products that you could get for much cheaper. Phone apps such as “Fooducate” are GREAT to help you see the difference between products and which products have a better nutritional value.
4. FOOD LABELS ARE ESSENTIAL Always remember to read the food label. Look below at an excerpt form the FDA to give you a more ind depth look at the food label. For more information go to http://www.FDA.gov http://www.fda.gov/Food/IngredientsPackagingLabeling/LabelingNutrition/ucm274593.htm#see5
5. THE LESS LEGS THE BETTER The bulk of your money in the store should be spent on lean protein sources and a rule of thumb can be that the less legs the better. Yes grade your proteins from no legged to four legged animals and be sure to get a variety to make sure that you do not get bored when you eat during the week and to receive a wide range of nutritional benefits from each protein source.
6. CARBS AS COMPLEX AS A RUBICS CUBE When talking about carbohydrates, complexity is a good thing. Complex carbs take longer to be broken down by the body which gives the body time to recognize the carb and use it for energy rather that automatically store it as fat. Appropriate carb sources are Sweet Potato Jasmine Rice Brown Rice Quinoa Whole Wheat Bread 100% Whole Grain Oats These 6 carb sources have been PROVEN as powerful carb sources and have personally helped me to be ready for competition. Do not think to hard on this one, THESE WORK
7. KEEP YOUR DAIRY TO A MINIMUM Yes.. dairy needs to be in your diet but knowing what to buy is key when building your performance basket. Only ten percent of your time should be spent here buying quality dairy sources such as 0% Greek Yogurt Almond milk Shredded Cheese Cottage Cheese and 2% Milk (Rarely.. you are a human, not a cow) The yogurt, ice cream, custards, and creams are all good however if you want to be your best you will save these sweet treats to only special occasions.
8. Healthy Fats should be in a Can SPRAY OIL will be your best choice when discussing the role of fats in your performance basket. Leave the butters and margarine alone and pick up a can of olive oil or coconut oil cooking spray. These options are lighter on your body and will serve as a healthy balance of fat in your diet.
9. EGGS BROWN OR WHITE When buying eggs make sure that they are of a grade A quality. Your best bet is to get your eggs locally grown from a farmer, but if you do not have access make sure to read the label to check the grade. Contrary to popular belief the egg color is determined by the color of the hen who is laying the egg. The GRADE is key. EGG LANDS BEST is a little but more expensive but great quality that I use myself
10. Ok Guy.. So what does this list look like? I know by this time you are asking ” Man How much will all this healthy eating COST”? Not to worry we have provided a grocery list using all the tips above and all for under $100 dollars!! Lets take a look below As you can see it is possible!! Next week we sill discuss how to cook and prepare meals from this list to plan your performance cart to your performance week!! Be sure to follow the @swxllerco and use the #swxllerfood to show your grocery lists and food choices!!!